Khiri Campus is fully committed to sustainability in everything we do. Here are the principles that guide us:
At the heart of our Sustainability Policy is Khiri Travel’s mission to take actions to maximize the positive effects that tourism can have on individuals and local communities, while minimizing the negative social, environmental and economic impacts.
Responsible travel practices and long-term thinking are guiding principles for our product development and operation, as well as external partner relationships.
It is a work in progress for everyone in our company. We therefore commit to the following objectives:
- Comply with all relevant legislation and embed sustainable development principles into core business practices,
- Use our position to drive sustainability within our destinations,
- Preserve our environment and continually improve our environmental performance,
- Optimize our social impact to enhance local livelihoods,
- Provide information, training and support to our staff and external partners, to engage them towards sustainability,
- Provide sustainable information about our products to encourage our clients to opt for sustainable travel options.
Find more information on our Sustainability Approach here:
We are surely committed to protect children and respect children’s rights in every part of our business operation. We have zero tolerance when it comes to violations against children’s rights.
- We act beyond our business areas when it comes to protecting children.
- We condemn any form of child trafficking or sex tourism.
- We do not promote or support arbitrary visits to schools, orphanages, children centers or hospitals which do not offer any positive long-term or meaningful impact.
- We regularly monitor our supply chains and does not tolerate with any activities using child labour or abusing children. We reserve the right to terminate contracts with suppliers, those who violate human rights and children’s rights.
- We provide training to our staff and tour guides about child protection and what to do when witnessing any form of child abuse or exploitation.
- We educate and inform our guests when interacting with local children.
- We are in partnership with the Child Safe Movement and similar organizations.
- We actively engage with our local partners to establish sustainable community development, educational programs and child protection campaigns through our non-profit organization – Khiri Reach.
Find more information of our People Interaction Policy here
Find more information about Khiri Reach here
Sensitive Excursions & Activities
As part of our company’s product offering, we are accountable for the excursions and activities included in the itineraries. We ensure that our teams and/or excursion and activities providers take environmental, social, and economic impacts into account when designing a tour. We identify the “sensitive” activities in our products, set clear policies and implement relevant actions to make sure that our supply chain is sustainable.
Sensitive activities include:
(i) Captive animal attractions
(ii) Wildlife watching and visiting protected areas (including parks)
(iii) Marine activities (snorkeling, diving, sport fishing, whale, dolphin, and turtle watching)
(iv) Visits to indigenous and traditional communities
(v) Visits to cultural and historic sensitive sites
– Children’s rights are respected in all excursions and activities, following our Child Safe Policy here: https://khiri.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/People-Interactions-Sustainability-forWEB.pdf
– Animals and wildlife welfare is ensured in all excursions and activities, following our Wildlife Policy here: (link to wildlife policy new)
– We respect and contribute to the promotion and preservation of local culture.
– We provide detailed guidelines for our tour guides, tour leaders and local representatives, regarding local people interactions and culturally and religiously appropriate behaviors.
– We comply with the regulations of protected areas (e.g., national parks).
– We respect and protect the local environment.
– We support the local economy and always give priority to locally owned service providers.
– We have communicated our requirements to our service providers and evaluations of the excursions by our company can be made in several ways:
- Site visit by our company’s sustainability coordinator / manager
- Observations from tour guides
- Guest’s feedback form
Khiri Travel makes the conscious decision not to contribute to the extinction of wildlife. We does
not promote any activities, which exploit or harm animals, both in the wild and in captivity. We
are committed to gradually assess our services and activities providers; and only choose to work with those who ensure wildlife welfare.
This Wildlife Policy serves as a fix principle for all Khiri Travel products and is always factored
in the assessment of wildlife-tourism suppliers.
Key aspects of animal welfare are the Five Freedoms, internationally accepted standards of
care that affirm every living being’s right to humane treatment:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst by having easy access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full vitality and vigor
- Freedom from discomfort by providing a nurturing environment that includes proper shelter and a comfortable resting area
- Freedom from pain, injury, or disease by providing routine health checks and rapid treatment and diagnosis of injuries and diseases
- Freedom to express normal behavior by providing sufficient space, proper facilities, and company of the animals’ own kind
- Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring living conditions and treatment are free from mental suffering
Find more information on our Wildlife Policy here